Friday, January 20, 2017

Week #2- The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease

The saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" is a phrase I had never heard until sometime last year. Now, it seems like I hear it being used quite often. It may seem like a bit of a silly phrase, but I think it is 100 percent true.

The phrase "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" is a bit self explanatory as you can image the imagery given. For example, if you have four wheels on your car but only one is squeaky, that squeaky wheel will receive all of the attention given by the driver. The other three wheels will receive no attention from their owner due to the fact that they don't make any noise.

The lesson I've learned this week is that you shouldn't be afraid to express your needs and ask for help occasionally... don't be afraid to squeak. This lesson is applicable in several situations life my throw at you. If you have a question in math class but don't raise your hand to ask the question, all the work remains on your shoulders to find the answer. If you would've asked, you could've received an easy answer and moved forward.

Just a week or two ago a friend of mine jokingly asked the boss of a company "so when are you going to give me a job?". To my friend's surprise, the boss of the company said that all my friend had to do was send the boss an e-mail and they would consider bringing him on. With this experience I learned that if you aren't willing to be an advocate for yourself, nobody will be an advocate for you.

Although I place a lot of value on being independent and hard working, I don't find anything wrong with asking for help/attention when needed.

Now, a question for my readers:


  • When has speaking up on your own benefit blessed you in your life?


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that when you speak up for yourself, great things can happen. Recently, I have been looking for possible internships for the summer, and ever since I started asking people for help and letting people know what I want to do, everything started to fall into place. Being willing to ask for help takes confidence in yourself that you are worth people's time and the humility to recognize that you need help to accomplish your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely something I struggle with, and I'm sure plenty of other people do as well. There is so much potential that we can achieve in life, and in order to realize it we need to speak up! We can never know what opportunities will present themselves unless we make ourselves, our desires, and our talents known to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to try and figure things out by myself and it can take me hours. However, when I ask for help it only takes 5-10 minutes for someone to explain what I struggled to understand. It is important to speak up and get the attention and help needed. It is not easy to do so.

    ReplyDelete