Monday, September 17, 2018

Forum Week 2


Forum Week 2

This week I learned a simple yet profound lesson in the Book of Mormon. While reading Mosiah 1 verse 7 I remembered my dad and some of the counsel he has given me. In this particular section King Benjamin is teaching his sons and gives them some advice. He says: “And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers.” Here King Benjamin advises his sons to diligently search the scriptures that they had access to at the time. I think in today’s day it is easy to take the scriptures for granted, but in their day Nephi put his life on the line to take the plates with them on their journey. They also continued to record their own record and the things that the Lord had taught them.

Not only does King Benjamin tell them to search the scriptures, but he tells them to live the commandments and principles that they teach. This is important to me because I’ve seen close friends leave the church or even stop believing in God because they read things or get confused by certain principles in the scriptures. Most of the time their falling away begins by someone failing to live the commandments they know to me true.  

The principle I get from this scripture is that as we search the scriptures and keep the commandments, we will prosper and be blessed. I really like how the word “search” is used as opposed to just “read”. I know that as we search the scriptures diligently we will find a spiritual strength that is hard to come by in other ways.

I can apply this to my own life by putting it into action. I feel like I’ve always done my best to keep the commandments, but at times I’ve failed to be diligent in searching the scriptures. I’m glad to be back in a religion class this semester that builds time into my schedule throughout the week to study and learn the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment