Monday, March 20, 2017

Week #11- Sharpen Your Saw

This week I learned an important lesson- make sure to sharpen your saw. This analogy comes from Stephen R. Covey who emphasizes the importance of finding ways to take a break from the daily grind, whether in work or at school. At BYU this semester it seems like I have had test after test. Last week I wrote a four page paper and took an important test. This week I have two more tests. In order to avoid getting burned out, it is important to take a break and "sharpen your saw."

Let me explain further, if you have a sawmill and the saw is running 24/7 cutting wood, the saw will eventually get dull and stop functioning at a high level. A job that would take 15 minutes could turn into a 20 or 30 minute process. However, if you take 10 minutes off to sharpen the saw on occasion it will ensure that the saw continues to operate efficiently. 

The same goes for us as students here at BYU. You can study, study, study, study, study... but at some point your study will become unproductive. You are much better spending 10 hours studying in a high quality manor than you are studying 20 hours unproductively. It is important to give your mind a break and sharpen your saw on occasion. That's what the weekend is for! Work hard during the week and make sure to find healthy breaks between study sessions. 

With one month left to go in the semester I am committed to study hard and to find adequate breaks in my studies. I will study effectively and if I find that my studies have become unproductive I will stop studying, and take a break. I advise all of you readers to find opportunities to sharpen your saw when you sense that it is becoming dull.

What have you done to "sharpen your saw" recently?

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Such an important concept to remember as students. Lately, my husband and I take a little time after dinner to unwind before we plow into homework. It helps the week be a little easier. Usually the weekends we try to do homework in the mornings and then spend the nights however we like to. That is how we "sharpen our saws"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought about the saw in the "sharpen your saw" phrase to be a saw that is constantly working. I've always thought of the saw being used as often as an axe, occasionally but not consistently. Great insight! What you said is totally true, though! It's important to take a break in order to be more productive.

    ReplyDelete