Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Week #13-Fresh Eyes

Today I wish to share an experience we had yesterday as Monika and I had the chance to work on a group project together. Each member of our team had put in a considerable amount of time in gathering the research, analyzing data, and preparing recommendations. We also spent time making graphs, and finding good pictures to use in our project.

Yesterday, we brought all of our research and findings together and put them into a presentation format. The powerpoint we made included all of our findings as a group, and Monika was responsible for a large part of the design process. After hours and hours editing Monika was starting to get a bit tired. She did a fantastic job helping with the format and design of the project but she was definitely tired by the end of it.

After taking some time off and watching the North Carolina Tar Heels knock of Gonzaga in the championship game I took the reigns and helped Monika finish the project. With fresh eyes I was able to make a lot of progress in a short amount of time. I was able to fix grammatical errors and fix a few parts of our project that needed improvement.

I believe that the key to my success was having fresh eyes.

The lesson I learned is that when you work on something for too long you start to become less productive. When writing a big essay or completing a big project, it is important to take a break. Coming back with fresh eyes will help you work more productively and identify mistakes that you may not have seen earlier.

I will continue to find study breaks as the semester comes to an end to make sure that my studies are effective and efficient.

Have you ever benefited from having fresh eyes?



5 comments:

  1. Good insight. I too believe that fresh eyes allows us to not only provide quality work but also be efficient during the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good message. Right now I am in North Carolina for a nation case competition I wish I had fresh eyes more often during this experience. However, sadly I've been up all night preparing constantly. Maybe I'll try showing this message to my group so I can get some sleep. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, usually me taking a break is not so I can have "fresh eyes" though. I usually find myself taking breaks because I get distracted by something else. I guess whatever works right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Fresh eyes are crucial to being to focus and learn. I'll sometimes just switch to a different project or another homework assignment to still get those fresh eyes when I don't really have time to take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that having fresh eyes when we are starting projects or working on them is super important. This is why I love having other people review my work and the work of the group. I tend to get tunnel vision even after looking at something for an hour. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete